Monday, December 21, 2009

Burmese foods



Pictured above is pickled tea leaves rice with fried chicken which I have for lunch at Inle Myanmar Restaurant on the basement of Peninsula Plaza in Singapore. The friend chicken is nothing special, but my mind is totally blown by the rice mixed with pickled tea leaves, fried peas, peanuts, toasted sesame, sliced fresh garlic, shredded fresh tomatoes, chili, dried shrimps, vegetable oil, and lime juice.

It's just delicious.

Ingredients are not particularly special. Chinese, Thai, and Indian influences can be traced. But when they come together, the taste becomes something that I haven't experienced before.

For dessert, I pick hsanwin makin (semolina cake). I didn't expect much because sweets from developing countries are usually just sweet and unsophisticated. I was wrong. This cake is not too sweet. The texture is not too hard, not too soft, just right for enhancing the taste of the cake. I'm pleasantly surprised.

I won't have a chance to visit Myanmar for the foreseeable future. That's why I tried this Burmese restaurant in Singapore, to expand the range of cuisine I've been exposed to. And I made the right decision. Special thanks to Linus, who told me about how good Burmese foods are.

No comments: